Reports to: Opera Center Assistant Manager
Department: Opera Center
Hours: Variable schedule; night and weekend work will be required
OPERA America, the national service organization for opera, leads and serves the entire opera community, supporting the creation, presentation and enjoyment of opera. Artistic services help opera companies and creative and performing artists to improve the quality of productions and increase the creation and presentation of North American works. Information, technical and administrative services to opera companies reflect the need for strengthened leadership among staff, trustees and volunteers. Education, audience development and community services are designed to enhance all forms of opera enjoyment.
OPERA America owns and operates the National Opera Center, at 330 Seventh Avenue, New York City. The National Opera Center, which houses OPERA America’s administrative offices, contains an audition/performance hall with removable seating for 70 people, a large rehearsal hall, education center, ten vocal studios, a media suite equipped for recording and streaming, a score and recording library, meeting and hospitality spaces, state-of-the-art technology, guest offices and work stations.
The National Opera Center is widely recognized as the informal headquarters and base of operations for the opera industry and serves as a catalyst for the field’s long term health and creativity. The facility serves the full range of activities essential to the field’s work including auditioning, vocal and dramatic coaching, design presentation, co-productions, group meetings (with videoconferencing capabilities), professional development seminars, donor hosting and cultivation, and research. It is the locus for the conduct of industry business, bringing together administrators, creative artists, professionals and patrons from across the country and around the world.
Opera Center Customer Service Associates work closely with the Opera Center Management team (Opera Center Assistant Manager, Opera Center Senior Manager, and Opera Center Facilities and Technical Manager) to ensure that the Opera Center is a welcoming, motivating, stimulating facility that allows artists and artistic staff to produce excellent work in a supportive and caring environment that understands their unique pressures and needs. Opera Center Customer Service Associates contribute to the National Opera Center’s success by ensuring the highest customer service and quality standards are met. This is accomplished by providing each customer with prompt service, attention and the highest value product.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Welcome and connect with every guest of the National Opera Center
- Respond to customer needs in a courteous, timely and effective manner
- Interact directly with customers and respond promptly to inquiries either by telephone, electronically or face-to-face
- Address and resolve customer complaints and trouble shoot minor issues
- Obtain and evaluate all relevant information to receive rental inquiries
- Process orders, forms, applications and requests
- Perform customer and member verifications
- Keep records of customer interactions and transactions
- Record details of inquiries, comments and complaints
- Record details of actions taken
- Follow up on customer interactions
- Direct requests and unresolved issues to the Opera Center management
- Liaise with building maintenance when necessary
- Assist with tracking special A-V/technology requests and fulfill event set-up requirements for both studio and performance rentals
- Serve as the first floor door attendant as needed
- Other duties as assigned
To perform this job successfully, an individual must have an acute attention to detail and accuracy, sound judgment and exceptional customer service. The ideal candidate must possess excellent interpersonal skills to work with and motivate all levels of staff, volunteers, artists and outside constituents. Excellent oral and written communication as well as collaborative and administrative skills are essential.
Position requires lifting and carrying weight in excess of 20 lbs as well as the ability to bend, twist and reach. Position also requires working nights and weekends as per the weekly schedule.
Salary and Compensation:
Salary will be $12/hour.
To apply, send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please list: Opera Center Customer Service Associate in subject line.
No phone calls, please.