Job Title: Technical and Safety Director
Department: Technical and Production
Reports To: Producing Director
Date: April 2017
The Technical Director provides leadership and management of all stage operations. He/she manages all staff, subcontractors and resources to ensure the efficient running of the departments and is responsible for delivering the highest artistic standards within allocated resources. As the director of HGO’s Safety Program, the Technical Director works closely with the Wortham Center Operating Company (WCOC) and Houston First to establish and maintain a safe working environment in all HGO venues and facilities.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Lead, plan, manage and directly supervise ATDs/Safety Manager, HGO Crew Heads and IATSE employees, as well as the Lighting, Sound, Props, and Safety departments.
- Provide leadership of HGO’s Safety Program, working with the Safety Manager to develop and implement company safety guidelines and regulations and overseeing the training, equipment, recordkeeping and incident reporting for the organization.
- Plan, manage and implement all technical aspects throughout the build, rehearsal and running of each HGO production:
- Evaluate technical and financial feasibility of potential and actual productions;
- Ensure that productions will work within the physical requirements of HGO venues and within repertory situations;
- Oversee technical aspects of new production builds, realizing scenic designs from bid process through delivery;
- Establish and maintain accurate archival records of all shows.
- Represent HGO in past, present and future projects with designers and production teams, establishing a close and supportive working relationship.
- Represent HGO in past, present and future projects with co-producers, contractors and hiring companies as required.
- Provide input on the creation of technical budgets, including but not limited to crew and staffing requirements and material and equipment needs.
- Manage and track technical budgets, controlling costs and ensuring efficient use of resources within agreed budgets.
- Working closely with other HGO departments, provide technical support as required for special projects and activities, including but not limited to special events, stage tours, HGOco programs and projects.
- Serve as liaison with the WCOC (Wortham Center Operating Company), Houston First, Houston Ballet, and other collaborative partners for all HGO technical matters.
- Participate in the planning, negotiation, and implementation phases of collective bargaining agreements across all HGO technical areas.
- Manage all warehouse and cartage activities including storage planning, inventory tracking, and maintenance and upkeep of technical equipment.
Any other duties that may be required by the Producing Director.
Bachelor’s degree in technical theater or at least 5 years’ experience in production or technical management with a professional producing venue or organization. Previous experience managing large scale projects and effectively supervising multiple teams. Budget and resource management experience, management of union personnel, negotiating and working within multiple collective bargaining agreements required. Experience with supervising personnel, managing conflict resolution and setting and benchmarking job expectations strongly preferred. Ideal candidate has knowledge of OSHA health and safety practices and proficiency with current release of AutoCAD and previous experience in opera production.
SPECIAL JOB CHARACTERISTICS
Candidate must be highly motivated, independent self-starter with ability to be a calming, rational presence with a wide range of personalities. Must be able to manage multiple tasks and numerous projects within a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment. Must have the ability to quickly analyze problems and present creative solutions within artistic and financial parameters. Must possess effective communication skills. Availability for evening and weekend work required.
To apply for this position, please use the link associated with this posting.