The Contracts Coordinator (CC) is responsible for generating, tracking and processing Washington National Opera contracts and payments to all Principal Artists, Directors, Designers Composers, Librettists, Publishers and American Opera Initiative personnel. The CC provides information to artist with respect to tax treaty benefits and required tax forms related to artist income and tax reporting.
44% Generates and processes all Washington National Opera AGMA and United Scenic Artist artistic, production team contracts and incoming/outgoing production rental and co-production contracts. Includes but is not limited to writing all contracts, communicating with Kennedy Center Legal Counsel and Finance when necessary, distributing finalized contracts with appropriate tax information and cover letters to artists.
23% Submits for approval, all artist payments, payroll and reimbursements. Includes but is not limited to: creating requisition requests in payroll software, submitting artist payment requests, submitting housing and travel payments (including stipends and reimbursements), completing bank wiring forms and calculating foreign exchange rates, coding and submitting AGMA and USA health fund contributions and working dues and working with payroll to pay employees on a weekly basis. Distributing payments to artists and answering any questions about fees, deductions, dues, or taxes.
15% Tracks the status of contracts in appropriate databases, initiating and confirming proper contract signings, sending executed contracts to artists and AGMA and USA, and filing all contracts and contract correspondence.
8% Generates and processes contracts for special projects such as Washington National Opera commissions, as well as for music staff and other unique vendors to include: children’s chorus master, dramaturg, lecturers, surtitles coordinators, and others. Working with Artistic Department Leadership, Kennedy Center Legal Counsel when necessary and artist agents to determine appropriate contract terms (including future use, broadcast rights, financial terms, deadlines, deliverables, travel allowances, housing, etc.) and creating a comprehensive contract based on those terms.
5% Provides information to artists on all tax treaty benefits and required tax forms related to their income and tax reporting. Remain informed of any pertinent tax law changes. Submit all relevant artist and department tax forms for all artists. Resend year-end tax forms to artists and agents as necessary.
3% Collaborates on special projects with other Kennedy Center departments (e.g. working with the Gift Shop on creating permissions from costume designers in order to create merchandise).
2% Mentors the Washington National Opera Artistic Department intern with respect to Artist contracts.
- 3+ years’ experience in an administrative or artist services department.
- Bachelor’s degree Interest/knowledge in opera, music, or the performing arts.
Minimum Skills and/or Knowledge Required
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Must exercise good judgment, show initiative, handle sensitive data in a trustworthy manner.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to work independently as well as in a team environment. Discretion, maturity, and composure, especially under pressure.
- Familiarity of working with contracts strongly encouraged
- Ability to establish priorities and juggle numerous assignments.
- High standards and sense of responsibility.
- Interest in positive interpersonal interaction, openness to diverse work situations and sense of humor strongly encouraged.
- Knowledge of a foreign language, especially Italian, French, German or Spanish encouraged.
The John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts is a world premiere performing arts organization and our nation’s cultural center. Diversity is a critical component of our mission, vision, and values. Our staff exhibits a wide variety of perspectives and experiences which enable us to foster and strengthen an environment of diversity and inclusion.
consideration apply online at www.kennedy-center.org/jobs.