Reporting to the Chief Development Officer, the Corporate Development Director is responsible for fundraising efforts – cultivation, solicitation and benefits facilitation– in the Corporate area, working from a portfolio of prospects and corporate members. In addition, this person is responsible for “Affinity Night” events, including recruiting and working with committees, managing the lists in the Opera’s Tessitura database and planning and coordinating the events. The position serves as a key member of the development team and is critical to the overall fundraising success of San Diego Opera.
- Works with the Chief Development Officer to set fundraising goals for the corporate area of support
- Sets, directs and executes strategies to meet corporate fundraising goals
- Prepares corporate proposals, presentations and collateral materials
- Solicits and follow up with prospective and renewing corporate donors
- Solicits and follow up with in-kind donors, creating and managing partnerships
- Proactively engages Board Members and other volunteers to assist in prospecting and soliciting and works with Board committees assigned to increase Corporate Council gifts
- Works as corporate donor liaison as necessary – i.e., taking VIP ticket orders, mailing dress rehearsal reservation forms, taking reservations, monitoring responses, follow-up and reminder correspondence
- Composes clear, concise and professionally written correspondence and documents
- Coordinates and arranges meetings and events
- Maintains and updates all electronic (Tessitura) and hard copy files, documents and lists related to corporate donations
- Coordinates details of corporate sponsorships and special events – i.e., serves as point person for replies, working vendors, ensures that signage is produced and placed at event appropriately. Working at these events is required
- Builds strong relationships with a variety of constituents, including the production and education departments, in order to understand their work and effectively communicate these projects to prospects and donors
- Works collaboratively with the Development and Marketing teams at large to support organizational goals, including attending fundraising events and supporting other special projects
- Other duties as assigned
- Undergraduate degree and 5 years corporate community experience and/or fundraising experience.
- Microsoft Office Suite is essential and working knowledge of Tessitura is preferred.
- Must be able to work flexible hours, including frequent evening, weekend and holiday hours as well as irregular hours on show and event days.
- Exceptional organizational skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to work independently
- Upbeat personality with ability to multi-task and work within deadlines
- Ability to recognize customer relation / PR issues and to handle them appropriately or manage upward
- Affinity for opera/music/theater/performing arts a plus
Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications. Full benefits including paid vacation, PTO, medical, dental, vision, FSA and 403b with matching.
Please email cover letter & resume to Jobs@sdopera.org. No phone calls please.