Position: Director of Major Gifts
Available: March 2017
The Director of Major Gifts oversees the management of a staff of 10, including the Major Gifts and Prospect Research divisions. Coordinates the cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of 400+ individual donors who give $25,000+ annually. Works with senior staff, volunteers and Metropolitan Opera Board members to engage current and new donors and enhance opportunities for current donors.
- Manage Major Gifts and Prospect Research administrative systems, projects, events, and staff workload.
- Cultivate and solicit own portfolio of individual donors, with emphasis on upgrading annual gifts and securing leadership gifts of $250,000+ for new productions and special projects.
- Oversee donor cultivation activities for current and prospective donors of $25,000+; coordinate with Board volunteers, Patron staff and other colleagues to develop new ways to entertain, reward and steward donors.
- Organize and oversee gift tracking, prospect research, and reporting systems.
- Oversees new Board orientation activities.
- Oversee stewardship activities for donors of $25,000+; ensure accuracy of program book lists and plaques; monitor VIP ticketing and dedication evenings.
- Create and oversee annual Major Gifts and Research expense budgets and revenue projections.
- Assist with arrangements for Patron cultivation by the Metropolitan Opera Board members and volunteers.
- Draft solicitation and acknowledgement letters and proposals for own donors’ gifts and gifts solicited by Board volunteers and staff members.
- Attend patron functions, gala events, assist volunteers as necessary, and be available for high-level entertainment, such as box and cast parties and the International Council Weekend.
- Hire, train, and supervise a full-time staff of 10; coordinate with fundraising consultants as needed.
Qualification and Skill Requirements:
- Must have 7 years development experience, preferably in individual giving, with substantial one-on-one solicitation experience.
- Excellent writing, communication and budgeting skills.
- Experience in managing and motivating a staff to meet financial goals.
- Previous experience in working with high-level donor volunteers and Board members.
- Must be PC proficient, with previous experience using fundraising computer software and data based systems.
- Must be able to work overtime regularly on evenings and weekends for both personal entertaining and special events.
- Occasional travel.
Please e-mail your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, including “Director of Major Gifts” in the subject line of your e-mail.