Position Title: Technical Director
Reports to: Director of Production
Employment Status: Full-Time Seasonal
Supervisory Requirements: Yes
The Technical Director reports directly to the Director of Production and provides oversight of all technical production activities in support of the mission of The Atlanta Opera. The Technical Director actively manages the technical operations and provides administrative support for the Production Department.
- Oversee stage operations for all main stage opera productions, including coordinating load-ins and load-outs of all sets, lights and sound; oversee all technical rehearsal and advise on all stage running operations and stage running sheets, and coordinate stage schedule for rehearsals and notes
- Advise the Director of Production in developing and implementing near and long term technical budgets, individual project budgets and touring budgets
- Maintain technical expense budget within production budgets
- Manage creation of appropriate technical paperwork including scale ground plans, section drawings, assembly guides, labor needs, and venue templates for all Atlanta Opera engagements.
- Give final approval on all scenic floor plans, rigging points, line schedules
- Supervises all aspects of scenery construction and refurbishment
- Act as company Safety Officer, which includes, but is not limited to, maintaining first aid kids, managing accident reports and updating and maintain the company safety manual and conducting any meetings/trainings as necessary
- Create and implement incoming rental logistical plans, sourcing appropriate and economical options
- Manage production equipment logistics
- Develop production rental plan with specific income goals, revenue plans and industry marketing
- Ensure compliance with laws and regulations regarding all licensing, permits, certificates and relevant documentation relevant to the performances of Atlanta Opera
- Research competitive pricing for all purchases and rentals including shipping and support personnel
- Provide additional project management and consultation as required
- Act as Rental Technical Director for clients
- Other duties, as assigned.
- Excellent written and oral communication and problem-solving skills
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to meet deadlines and manage multiple projects simultaneously and efficiently
- Excellent computer skills and aptitude, especially using the Microsoft Office Suite, as well as the ability to quickly learn new software programs.
- Proficient digital drafting
- Knowledge or strong interest in opera preferred
- Experience in managing union crews preferred
- Ability to work collaboratively within production team and with multiple departments
- 3-5 years’ work experience in theatrical production with a demonstrated track record of increased responsibility
- Ability to sit at a desk for up to and over eight hours per day
- Ability to communicate using a phone and headset
- Ability to lift and carry up to 50 pounds
- Have valid driver’s license
- Must perform the functions of the position in a safe manner
- Position requires evening and weekend obligations during the opera season
Director of Production will be at U.S.I.T.T. in St. Louis and available for questions or interviews. Please Email Resume and drafting sample with "TD Search" in the subject line.