Visa peer consultation letters are a benefit of OPERA America organizational membership. Any Professional Company Member, Associate Member, Educational Producing Associate or Business Member may request a letter of support at no charge. All non-member requests are subject to a $250 processing fee. Additional fees apply to both members and non-members for Expedited or Rush service.
OPERA America requires specific documentation and evidence as the basis for issuing advisory opinions. Organizations requesting visa letters must provide a complete itinerary of all events, including the dates of each service or engagement, the names and addresses of the establishments, venues or locations where services will be performed, and deal memos or contracts with each employer described in the itinerary. The artist’s bio or resume and additional supporting documentation, described below, are also required.
OPERA America fulfills requests, which must be accompanied by all necessary supporting materials, within 10 business days
of the receipt of materials. Expedited and Rush processing is available for an additional fee. Once a letter is completed, the original will be sent by mail and a PDF copy will be sent by e-mail to the requesting company.
To obtain a peer consultation letter, please e-mail the materials listed below to VisaLetters@operaamerica.org
. Please note clearly in the e-mail subject line if the request is for Expedited or Rush service. Additional fees will apply (see below).
Confirmation and Payment
Once an Expedited or Rush request has been submitted via e-mail, OPERA America will reply with a confirmation e-mail that includes the following information:
If you are requesting expedited or rush service, please call 646.699.5201 to confirm receipt of materials and receive a delivery time for your letter.
- Specific return time for the requested letter
- Payment details; Processing fees must be paid in full prior to return of executed letters.
- A cover letter stating:
A bio or resume outlining:
- Name, e-mail address and mailing address of the contact person at your company
- Artist's name (and, if different, the name stated on the USCIS petition)
- Title and dates of the production
- Dates for which the artist will be in the U.S. (start and end date encompassing travel times)
- Name and address of the performance venue
- Artist's function or role in the opera
- Name and/or address of the USCIS service center to which the letter should be addressed
Materials about the artist’s work that appeared in professional publications, including:
- Any awards or honors received by the artist
- A list of companies or cities in which the artist has performed
- Operatic roles the artist has performed
- Any recordings, television appearances or other areas in which the artist is in demand (e.g., if the artist is also a sought-after recitalist)
- Web links to online digital content located in companies’ or artist’s websites
- A brief statement about why this artist is being contracted by your organization
- In some cases, it may be necessary to state why this particular artist is crucial to your company's production (e.g., a lighting designer who works exclusively with your stage director).
Deal memos or contracts (excerpted or in full) with each employer
- Critical reviews documenting recent public performances by the artist (include date and name of publication)
- If reviews are unavailable, provide evidence of how the artist is regarded in the press or by colleagues or employers.
- If the reviews are foreign, include notarized English translations, with a sworn oath of accuracy by the translator. (Send the original notarized documents to USCIS and copies to OPERA America.)
Payment instructions will be included in the e-mail confirming receipt of your materials.
(10 business days)
(5 business days)
(3 business days)
Requests for a USCIS “Request for Further Evidence” second letter of support will incur a $50 fee, in addition to the Standard, Expedited or Rush processing fees.
Processing fees must be paid in full prior to return of executed letters.
Please e-mail scanned copies of materials — not your originals — to VisaLetters@operaamerica.org